Frequently Asked Admission Questions

Congratulations, you have received an offer!

Now what?

When you receive a written offer from ICMS you can either:

  • accept the offer (as per instruction in offer letter, or via UAC if application was made through UAC);
  • apply to defer entry where allowed within the course rules;
  • decline the offer by contacting us;
  • decline the offer and request admission to an alternative course; or
  • take no action, in which case the offer will lapse at the first course census date.

Frequently Asked Admissions Questions


What if I want to study more than one degree course?

Concurrent enrolment

In some circumstances students can enrol to study more than one degree course simultaneously. This has to be approved by the relevant Associate Dean.  If this enrolment constitutes a study overload, the Associate Dean will only approve concurrent enrolment if the student has achieved a CGPA of at least 2.50 after two study periods. Of course, your performance will be monitored in accordance with the Academic Progression Policy.

Consecutive enrolment 

Some students may also wish to apply to the relevant Associate Dean to enrol in two consecutive degrees during their enrolment at the institution. You will only be permitted to commence the second course of study once all course completion requirements have been met for the initial course.


What if I need to withdraw from my course before I have started?

Domestic students

Domestic students who wish to withdraw from a course of study before commencement must complete the appropriate form. If a student correctly withdraws from a course of study by the census date, they will not have to pay the tuition fees or incur a debt for that course. For financial implications refer to the Refund of Fees – Domestic Students Policy.

International students

International students who wish to withdraw from a course of study before their commencement date (of the first course if a student has a package offer) must:

  • complete the ”Withdrawal Request” form;

  • provide an airplane ticket indicating the date on which the student intends to leave Australia (applicable for onshore students withdrawing to return to their home country); and/or

  • provide a Decision Record as provided by the DHA (Department of Home Affairs), if the withdrawal is due to student visa refusal.

For financial implications refer to the Refund of Fees – International Students Policy.

For students under 18 years of age, written evidence of the legal guardian and/or government sponsor support for the withdrawal is also required.

What if I need to withdraw from my course after I’ve have started?

Domestic students

Domestic students who wish to withdraw from a course of study after their commencement date must complete the appropriate form.

The request for withdrawal must be submitted before the census date of the current study period in order to avoid financial and academic penalties. If a student correctly withdraws from a course of study by the census date, they will not have to pay the tuition fees or incur a debt for that course. Students will be notified of the outcome in writing and be advised how they can apply for a refund in accordance with the Refund of Fees - Domestic Student Policy.

International students

International students who wish to withdraw from a course of study after their commencement date must provide the following:

  • complete the appropriate form;

  • provide an airplane ticket indicating the date on which the student intends to leave Australia (applicable for students withdrawing to return to their home country).

For students under 18 years of age, written evidence of the legal guardian and/or government sponsors support for the withdrawal is also required.

Academic and financial penalties related to requests for withdrawal will be determined by the guidelines contained in ICMS refund and grading policies.

What if my offer is cancelled?

The institution reserves the right to cancel (rescind) an offer or cancel the enrolment of a person where:

  • an offer is made on the basis of incomplete, inaccurate, fraudulent or misleading information supplied by the applicant or certifying authority;

  • For international students – in the event that the institution is not satisfied that the applicant meets Genuine Student (GS) and/or Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirements set by the DHA; or

  • an offer is made in error.


Can my enrolment be cancelled?

The institution is permitted (and sometimes obliged) to cancel a student’s enrolment in certain circumstances. The institution can cancel an enrolment if a student has:

  • unsatisfactory academic progress;

  • unsatisfactory attendance (for Foundation and ELICOS students only); or

  • not paid fees or provided a valid TFN, for Fee Help purposes (domestic students only), by the relevant census date.

For international students, the institution is obliged to inform the DHA, through PRISMS, of any change to an international student’s enrolment.

Suspension at the institution is used in the context of the General Misconduct Policy and General Misconduct Procedures and the Academic Integrity and Honesty Policy though which disciplinary matters are managed.

An international student visa may also be cancelled if the student is suspended for twelve months or more. If involved in an enrolment cancellation process, all international students are advised to contact the DHA on the potential impact on their student visa. The institution will also report the change of the student’s enrolment to DHA.


Once I’m enrolled do I have any obligations?

Once enrolled, students are responsible for:

  1. ensuring that their overall enrolment load remains manageable from a workload perspective;

  2. being aware of their expected course completion date and for seeking regular advice from their academic advisers (e.g. via the Academic Consulting Office, and/or Program Manager) on their progress, course requirements, study loads and subject selection;

  3. ensuring that their personal and contact details are current;

  4. regularly checking their student email account (or nominated primary email address);

  5. being familiar with course and enrolment information;

  6. being familiar with and abiding by the institution’s policies as a condition of their enrolment;

  7. enrolling in each study period by the required deadline;

  8. checking to ensure their enrolment is correct and meets course requirements (including any pre-requisite or co-requisite requirements);

  9. advising the institution of any errors or omissions, noting that failure to do so by the approved census or academic withdrawal dates may result in academic and financial penalties;

  10. amending their enrolment by the required critical dates for the study period if necessary;

  11. paying all fees incurred from enrolment by the due date;

  12. submitting the required forms when applying for Leave of Absence or withdrawal from a course or subject, and providing the required  supporting documentation;

  13. ensuring they have an accurate understanding of what the Leave of Absence or withdrawal represents to their study options and course progression and duration, as well as its financial implications;

  14. attending / participating in learning activities and fulfilling the requirements of the assessments;

  15. displaying a student ID card on campus; and

  16. completing the course requirements within the maximum specified time allowed.

In addition, international student visa holders must:

  1. enrol in no more than 25% of their course online (where appropriate);

  2. ensure they complete their course within the duration stated in their Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE);

  3. enrol in a full-time course load unless otherwise specified by the Board of Examiners recommendations or due to approval of compassionate or compelling circumstances; and

  4. abide by the conditions of their student visa.


What if I can’t complete my course within time?

In accordance with the National Code, ICMS is required to monitor the progress of each overseas student to ensure that they are in a position to complete their course within the expected duration specified on the overseas student’s Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). The expected duration of study specified in the overseas student’s CoE never exceeds the CRICOS registered duration.

Do I have to maintain a full-time study load?

In order to complete a course within the expected duration of study, international students are normally required to be enrolled in a full-time study load each study period. As such, international students must maintain a full-time study load to ensure that they complete their course within the duration specified in their CoE. Requests to vary study load are only permitted in exceptional circumstances. What constitutes a full-time load will vary by course of study, hence students should liaise closely with their academic advisors to understand and follow the requirements of their course.


How is a ‘full-time study load’ calculated?

ICMS measures student enrolment load in credit points and in Equivalent Full Time Student Load (EFTSL). One 'EFTSL' is the amount of student load determined to be equal to a full-time load for one student for one year. Typically, each subject has a set study load which is represented in credit points and EFTSL value. The EFTSL value of the subject is calculated using the credits points attributed to the subject as a proportion of the annual credit point requirement under a full-time study load.


What if I don’t do a full-time study load?

International students who do not comply with the requirements to maintain a full-time study load will be deemed to have intentionally under enrolled without acceptable reason and contrary to the institution’s requirements. Students who intentionally under enrol may have the following penalties applied:

  • refusal of any request to extend their current CoE; and/or

  • cancellation of the enrolment.


Can I have a reduced study load?

Domestic students can have a reduced study load and study part-time if they wish.

International students may apply to reduce their study load in the following exceptional circumstances only:

  1. as a result of an intervention strategy to support a student at risk of unsatisfactory academic progress;

  2. as a result of compassionate or compelling circumstances as assessed by the institution on the basis of demonstrable evidence;

  3. as a result of an approved deferral or suspension/or cancellation made in accordance with Standard 9 of the National Code;

  4. when a subject required is not available in the current term and no other reasonable options to maintain full enrolment exist (while ensuring that any variation in enrolment allows the student to finish within the expected duration in the normal course of events). 

Financial issues and/or employment reasons are not acceptable grounds upon which to grant reduced study loads.


How to apply to have a reduced study load?

All international students who want a reduced study load must lodge an application to reduce study load, unless one of the following applies:

  1. the student is not on a student visa. In this case, the student does not require permission to reduce load; or

  2. the student is in their final study period for the course. In this case, the student does not need permission to reduce their study load as long the course will be completed during that study period.

International students wishing to apply for a reduced study load must do so on the appropriate form. The completed form must be submitted with supporting documentary evidence.

The final date on which applications to reduce study load may be lodged is the first Friday of each study period.

Students must be enrolled in a full-time load for their application to be considered. Students must not reduce their study load before lodging their application. A study load may only be reduced upon confirmation that the application has been approved.


What must I do if I am a sponsored student?

Sponsored students must seek written approval from their sponsor prior to submitting their completed form. Students are required to attach a letter of consent from their sponsor with their application.


What if I want to take a break (leave of absence) after I’ve started my course?

Once a student has commenced enrolment in a course, they must gain permission for a leave of absence. For all approved applications, the period of leave will not normally exceed a total of two study periods. The student must formally notify the institution of their intention to return to recommence their studies.

A period of leave that requires longer than the permitted time will be deemed a withdrawal, and students will be required to reapply for admission to the course, including meeting any updated entry requirements.

International students can only access a leave of absence during a course in certain limited circumstances including:

  • serious illness or injury, where a medical certificate states that the student was unable to attend classes;

  • instances where the institution is unable to offer a pre-requisite subject;

  • an intervention strategy for students at risk of not meeting satisfactory course progress;

  • bereavement of close family members such as parents or grandparents; 

  • major political upheaval or natural disaster in the home country that require emergency travel and this has impacted on the student’s studies;

  • a traumatic experience which could include:  

  1. involvement in, or witnessing of a serious crime, or

  2. witnessing or being the victim of a serious crime, and this has impacted on the student (these cases should be supported by police or psychologists' reports).


Can I transfer to another ICMS course?

A student who wishes to transfer from one enrolled course to another course within ICMS, must satisfy the entry requirements for the course for which they are applying as per the Admissions Policy.

If a student transfers from one course at the institution to another, any credit approved for the original course will not necessarily be transferred to the new course. Learn more by reading the Course Transfer Procedure.


Are my study abroad or student exchange studies equivalent to study at ICMS?

Learning completed during student exchange and study abroad is considered to be directly equivalent to study completed at ICMS when approval is gained from ICMS, prior to participating in the student exchange and study abroad. Students must apply for credit after the student exchange and study abroad has been completed. Credit will be given on receipt of a transcript or other satisfactory confirmation of completion. Credit will be in the form of exemptions and the grade awarded by the student exchange and study abroad partner institution will not be recorded on the ICMS transcript and will not contribute towards the calculation of the students ICMS GPA.


Do my studies from other institution contribute towards my degree at ICMS?

Also referred to as 'recognition of prior learning (RPL)' or 'credit transfers', advanced standing means that applicants who can demonstrate successful completion of equivalent subjects at a recognised institution may be eligible for credit towards study at ICMS. You can apply for advanced standing for subjects studied at diploma or undergraduate level. Similarly, applicants who can demonstrate competence attained through formal training, work experience and/or life experience may also be eligible for advanced standing in an ICMS course. To check whether you are eligible for advanced standing please email


Can I transfer from ICMS to an International institution?

International students are able to request a release from their enrolment to transfer to another registered provider. The institution ensures that it is compliant with the ESOS Act and the requirements of Standard 7 of the National Code, by outlining its approach within the Transfer Between Providers – International Students Policy. All requests for release to transfer between providers will be assessed against this policy.

If a student holds a student visa and is considering changing their course of study, they must ensure that they continue to meet all the conditions that apply to their student visa. The following student visa condition has been imposed under SSVF: “you must maintain enrolment in a registered course that is the same level as, or at a higher level than, the registered course for which you were granted a visa”


Can I transfer from another Australian institution to an ICMS?

The institution will not admit a student who wishes to transfer from another institution during the first six months of their principal course of study except where:

  • the student’s original institution has provided a written letter of release;

  • the student’s original institution has ceased to be registered as a CRICOS provider, or the course in which the student is currently enrolled has ceased to be registered as a CRICOS course; 

  • the student’s original institution has had a sanction imposed on its registration by the Australian Government or state or territory government that prevents the student from continuing their principal course of study;

  • a government sponsor of the student considers the change to be in the student’s best interest and provides written support for the transfer.

Students under the age of 18 will also require evidence that the transfer is supported by their parents or guardian.


If I leave can I come back to ICMS whenever I want?

Students may not apply for admission (or readmission) during a period of exclusion from the institution. The period of exclusion is typically two consecutive study periods.

Re-admission requirements are outlined as follows:

  • applicants whose deferral period has lapsed may reapply for admission to their course of study and will be subject to the same requirements as all other applicants at the time of applying;

  • applicants who have been previously excluded from the institution may reapply to a course of study, when the exclusion period lapses. If accepted, students may be awarded the enrolment status of “Conditional Enrolment” subject to an intervention strategy; and

  • applicants must be aware that courses are subject to change and that their original enrolled course /subject/s may not be available, particularly if returning after a significant period of time.


What if I have a problem? Can I complain?

Students concerned with decisions made by the institution in relation matters regarding enrolments may lodge a complaint in accordance with the Complaints and Appeals Policy

Requirements related to admissions are set out in the Admissions Policy.